Monday, June 1, 2009

Main aur Meri Tanhayi

The last 15 days have been very eventful, to say the least. As if the shock of getting a "panji" in the cursed Machines course wasn't enough (why me??) , the agony of seeing my lapy taken away from me (for no misconduct on my part) has left me in shreds. Add to it the dull, boring, insipid life in Bangaluru where I find myself now, and then you would be somewhere close to understanding my misery. As Sushi rightly put it, it's just "Main aur Meri Tanhayi". The lone bright spot has been Chelsea's FA Cup win and Catalan's demolition of The hapless Devils, even though I couldn't be witness to the two spectacles (screw Bangalore).

I heaved a sigh of relief when the exams ended, putting an end to countless nightouts (mostly spent in watching PB and bakar, rather than studying). What I didn't know was what the results would have in store for me. I usually head directly home after the exams, not bothering to wait till the results are declared. However, this time around, I decided to stay around, just in case. I accept that even though I'm not as adept as our revered Licker Sir in licking off the arses of our profs, I still had a faint hope that my staying back would help in one way or the other. And help it did, as i had a gr8 time with the gods of AOE. A lavish dinner in Dynasty was followed by a daaru party in Dhody's room, most fondly remembered for the rounds of Flaming shots. However, all that joy was soon drowned in the hopelessness of my results, and with that went any hopes that I had been harbouring of getting an 8-pointer this sem.

I had a short stay of 4 days at home. Only thing of note that happened there was food (at last) and the HP service center. "Your lapy is in serious trouble" said the technician. "You need to leave your lapy here for atleast 10 days....". I froze on hearing his words. "10 days, you sure?". "We need to replace the heat sink, the speakers....". "Dammit". I had to finally resign to the fate of bidding au revoir to my lapy for 2 months.

Bangalore or Bangaluru, as it is now known, translates to "The land of (boiled) beans". It wasnt my first time here. I had been here on an earlier occasion, but that was with family. As soon as you step out of the station, autorickshaw drivers are armed and ready to rob you of your money. I made the more prudent choice of going to the prepaid booth, and eventually made my way to IISc after having communicated with the driver in sign language. From there, a bus dutifully lead all the students to our apartment.

Gokula apartments is located in a remote corner of bangalore, a kind of gaon within a metro. No TV, no internet connection, no proper shopping complex, no proper bus-stand and all the other virtues of a gaon (even water-buffaloes roaming around the complex). There's just a single plus-point about this place: the awesome South Indian food. My time-table has been reduced to nothing but a cycle of Food-Sleep-Study, just like the old school times.

A word about the other Summer Research Fellows. All of them are either Bengalis or are doing M.Sc in bio-something (-technology,-informatics and what not!) or something else in Maths. A very few sane guys are doing something in engineering. Even among those, almost all except 2 belong to the "ghissu" class that all colleges are cursed with. So, as you can see, I effectively have 2 friends in here. How much I miss u guys, enjoying yourselves back in R!!

As for the campus, it reminds me of R in a lot of ways except that its very "green" down here. The only bright moments for me in the campus are when I'm loitering around, admiring God's creations. Otherwise, its all dull and boring. Work goes on amid gtalk,FB and ebooks.

Its quarter past 6 now, and I'm pretty much alone in the lab, except for the lab assistant who keeps pestering me by spying on me. He's looking at my screen very curiously now, so I had better leave. Its au revoir for now.

P.S. - My new number in Bangalore - 09379021272.

P.P.S. - Blue is the colour, football is the game
We're all together and winning is our aim
So cheer us on through the sun and rain
Cos Chelsea, Chelsea is our name.

5 comments:

  1. You don't even have a lappy!!! I can only wonder how you are able to stay alive there! (the food must be really good to help you get through these harrowing times!) :P

    Btw, admiring "God's creations"?? (yah! i m perverted!)

    PS : Another round of Flamin' Shots!! Courtesy : Walker (again!)... Man, don't i love this guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No lappy?! I pity you. I too missed the FA cup final (screw the cable operator).

    btw who is the licker you mentioned? Let me tell you though when it comes to licking you dont have to look beyond the CS legend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mallu: Now you get an idea of my misery :(.
    And I think you guessed what I meant by "greenery", didn't you 8-)??
    Well I too had liquor last night, just Beer though. How I miss you guys!

    @Rishabh: the licker I'm talking about is the understudy of the CS legend, but is more in the limelight these days, courtesy WatchOut's design section.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, desi i feel pity for u and ur so called "tanhai"...btw u can easily hunt some desi birds to fulfill the tanhai... [:D]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanx for your wishes Sahilboy. But your proposal looks quite unlikely, as of now. Nice to see you on the blogosphere though :).

    ReplyDelete